Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Easter Weekend - With Sick Kiddos

Easter weekend didn't go exactly as planned.  Brooklyn woke up on Good Friday with a fever and a cough.  Later that day Katelyn also came down with a fever.  So we missed our Good Friday communion service.  On Saturday the neighbors had planned a neighborhood Easter egg hunt for the first time.  The girls couldn't go :-(.  Fortunately I hadn't told Katelyn about it.  I had learned my lesson the night before because I told her on Thursday that after dinner on Friday we were going to church.  She asked us at dinner for about 3 days if we were going to church that night. - She remembers everything, it's actually quite amazing, but we really do have to watch what we say.

We did spend some time on Saturday dying Easter eggs, which both of the girls enjoyed.
Katelyn was very intent - we had tried this different type of paint that she was applying with a sponge and had to make sure every spot was covered with paint.


Stickers!

Brookie saying 'cheese'.  She wanted me to take her pic.
On Sunday, we had to miss out on both church and Easter with my extended family.  But we still tried to have a nice family day.  I realized on Saturday we were not going to make it to church on Sunday, so I went to the Bible bookstore hoping to find a book to teach Katelyn about the meaning of Easter.  Unfortunately they were all gone at that point (which I had thought might be the case).  We got a book about the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus, which we read before our Easter egg hunt.  I told Kyle that it reminded me of his Dad's tradition of always reading about the birth of Jesus from Luke before opening Christmas presents.
Easter Egg baskets  (I might have purchased the candy on the bottom for the parents).

Reading about Jesus.
The girls really enjoyed the Easter egg hunt.  Katelyn did well last year, but this was Brooklyn's first Easter Egg hunt.  Katelyn looked for the blue & green eggs and pink & purples were for Brookie.  I think that when Kyle hid Katelyn's eggs he forgot that her line of sight is at his waist ;-).



Counting to make sure they had found all the eggs.

Opening the eggs to find the treats!

I was probably the most disapointed to miss out on Easter this year (in part because Katelyn didn't know what she was missing).  In my weekly Bible Study group we have been studying since January about the last days of Jesus life, his death and resurrection, so I was really looking forward to having that context as we celebrated our what our Savior has done for us. 

We have continued to spend the rest of the week in basic isolation as the girls now have full on colds, although the fevers are mostly gone.  It will likely be another weekend with no church for me or the kids.  I'm really hoping this goes away soon as the sleepless nights and wiping noses are getting old fast.

Oh, I forgot to mention one of the funnier moments of the weekend.  So, on Saturday, Kyle decided to tell Katelyn that the Easter Bunny was coming that night to bring her goodies.  I guess she acted worried that someone would be in our house while we were sleeping until he said it would be ok.  However, she woke up at 4 AM and after getting her back to bed looks at me with huge eyes and says "The Easter Bunny is coming tonight!" - Half concerned, half excited.  I'm pretty sure she was sleeping poorly because she was so excited about the Easter Bunny coming. - Thanks, Kyle.  (We don't do the Santa thing, so this whole concept was new to her.)

No comments:

Post a Comment